Why Study Medicine at Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in Greece?
Exams in Biology, Chemistry & General Knowledge
Up to the last 3 years
+ Why Choose Aristotle University of Thessaloniki?
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki is one of the leading medical schools in Greece.
- Based in the university city of Thessaloniki, this university has been training medical students for nearly 80 years.
- The university has been ranked in the global top 100 of the world’s medical schools.
- Operating from traditional Greek scholarly values, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki is founded on living paradigms of ethics, practical skills and the drive to ‘always change medicine for the better’.
- With over 80 departments, 300 teaching staff and 100 laboratory technical and administrative staff, the university is a hub for medical learning, teaching and research.
- Medicine students learn in professional university hospitals as well as private and public facilities which gives them a rich clinical training foundation.
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki is a member of the Erasmus+ partner network and 11 partnerships for international cooperation.
+ What does the Medicine course involve?
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki is 6-Year Undergraduate Medicine Programme is studied on-campus in Thessaloniki, Greece.
- The programme qualifies graduates with the global degree of Doctor of Medicine (MD).
- Entry to the programme is contingent on applicants successfully passing Biology, Chemistry and General Knowledge tests.
- Intakes occur in October with two 15-week semesters per year.
- All modules are taught in English at the city campus and the university hospital in addition to the six city hospitals that are part of the university clinical training curriculum.
- Students study three cycles of courses throughout the undergraduate programme consisting of pre-clinical modules (Years One to Two), clinical modules and lectures (Years Three to Five), and clinical practice (Year Six).
- The pre-clinical modules are studied on-campus with an emphasis on engaged, small-group study consisting of lectures, seminars and laboratories.
- The clinical modules are studied across the group of university and city hospitals with a structure of vertical lectures and logbook skill observation to ensure clinical knowledge is developed.
- The final year of clinical training prepares students for their qualifying exams.
- Upon graduation, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki medical alumni are highly skilled and they are qualified to work internationally whether in the EU or further abroad.
+ What do the SME Clinical Rotations in the UK, Ireland, Canada, USA & Australia Involve?
- Study Medicine Europe (SME) provides an exclusive international clinical rotations opportunity for AUSoM medicine students to undertake up to three years of training in hospitals in the UK, Ireland, the USA, Canada and Australia.
- For the rotations, SME matches students to clinical settings in line with the module requirements of their medicine programme.
- Interested students are required to apply to SME with:
- Their CV and preferences (location, department and duration of placement).
- Official documented authorisation of their application from the coordinating Professor of their AUSoM programme.
- SME offers places to students in order of application submission to the specificity of matching programme requirements to locations available.
- Completing international clinical rotations is highly beneficial to medical students enabling them to gain diverse experience, learn from consultants in dynamic environments, and expand their skills.
+ What does the Medicine programme cost?
|Programme||Programme Starts||Annual Fees ()|
|Living Costs||Monthly ()||Annually ()|
|Rent (Private Accommodation)||230–310||2670–3,630|
|Electricity & Gas||60||490|
+ Admission to Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Applicants must provide the following information:
- An application which includes the following details: bio, education history and course for which you are applying.
- A copy of your secondary education results with subjects studied.
- Documents from your home country confirming that you are authorised to study in Greece.
- Two small photos of 4-5cm.
- Sit exams in Biology, Chemistry and General Knowledge
+ Life in Thessaloniki
- Thessaloniki is Greece’s second largest city and the country’s largest port.
- As a university city, there is a strong culture of education, innovation and diversity that is best summed up in their uniting motto, “Many stories, one heart”.
- Students moving to Thessaloniki should feel safe, secure and welcome with opportunities to enjoy a comfortable lifestyle.
- The city is famous for its ancient and modern architecture, live music and cafe culture, and friendly locals.
- The evolution of Thessaloniki led it to be awarded the title of ‘Cultural Capital of Europe’ title in 1997 and it is now home to over 100,000 university students.
+ Life in Greece
- Greece has one of the world’s oldest cultures of tertiary education and modern medicine is thought to have originated there with Hippocrates.
- Many universities are ranked in the World Top 1000 and as an EU member state, ECTS credits are recognised.
- Modern Greek culture is welcoming, traditionally Mediterranean and progressive that helps students feel at home.
- Social opportunities abound for students enabling them to balance study, training, research programmes and enjoying the local lifestyle.
Watch Our Videos
Real Success Stories
Open DaysEntry ExamsNetworking Events